The Judith Ann O’Brien and Daniel Mannix O’Brien Memorial Awards are prizes made in honour of the O’Brien family. These awards are made annually and recognise valuable contribution to the Medical School. The Judith Ann O’Brien Award is for a student in First to Third Year of the Medical Program at the University of Adelaide. The Daniel Mannix O’Brien Award is for a student in Fourth to Sixth Year of the Medical Program at the University of Adelaide.
The O’Brien Memorial Awards recognise and reward three main aspects of a student’s character:
- Service to peers and community;
- Loyalty and compassion towards friends; and
- Leadership and personal development.
An emphasis of the award is to recognise students whose valuable contributions may often go unnoticed.
The process regarding the awarding of the O’Brien Memorial Awards can be summarised as below:
- Any medical student or staff member of the University of Adelaide Medical School may nominate a current medical student;
- Nominations must include the name of the nominee and 50 - 100 words about why they deserve the award;
- Nominations are open from Wednesday 27 June and can be submitted via this webform and
- The winner of each O’Brien Memorial Award shall be chosen by a Selection Committee and announced at the AMSS MedBall.
Please note that the following relates to the 2012 O'Brien Memorial Awards:
The administration of the O'Brien Memorial Awards in 2012 can be summarised as:
- Wednesday 27 June 2012: nominations open;
- Wednesday 25 July 2012: nominations close;
- Date TBA: Selection Panel meets
- Saturday 25 August 2012: O'Brien Memorial Awards awarded.
Note that the Selection Committee for the O’Brien Memorial Awards is comprised of the following individuals:
- The Dean of the Medical School;
- The President of the AMSS;
- The Vice President (Communication) of the AMSS;
- The Clinical Co-ordinator of the AMSS;
- One member of the Medical School administrative staff; and
- The O’Brien Family nominated representative(s).
For more information about the O’Brien Memorial Awards, please do not hesitate to contact the President at: email@example.com.