The Adelaide Medical Students’ Society (AMSS or the Society) Patron’s Plate is the most prestigious annual award offered by the Society, initiated by Adam Lockett. The relevant regulations require that the Patron’s Plate is awarded to the ‘final year medical student who is deemed to have made an outstanding contribution to medical student life during the six years of the Medical Course.’ The coveted prize therefore acknowledges over half a decade of contribution by the recipient to medical student life, which expands to involve contributions made from the local to the national level. Within the exuberant culture and energy of medical student life at the University of Adelaide, such an award is an extremely high honour indeed!
The process regarding the awarding of the Patron’s Plate can be summarised as below
- All medical students at the University of Adelaide are invited to nominate final year students that they feel are fit for consideration for the Patron’s Plate;
- Nominations can be made from Wednesday 27 June via this webform
- Nominees will be informed of their nomination by email from the President and will be requested to submit a one-page curriculum vitae (CV) depicting their ‘contribution to medical school life’;
- The CVs of all nominees will be provided to all members of the Committee for consideration prior to a normal AMSS Committee Meeting, at which discussion and voting will take place; and
- All nominees will be acknowledged and thanked at the AMSS MedBall. The recipient of the Patron’s Plate will then be announced.
Congratulations to Dr Sean Jolly, the Patron's Plate recipient for 2011.
The timeline for administration of the Patron's Plate in 2012 can be summarised as:
- Wednesday 27 June 2012: nominations open;
- Wednesday 25 July 2012: nominations close;
- Thursday 26 July 2012: nominees asked to submit one-page CV;
- Monday 6 August 2012: CVs due.
- Monday 13 August 2012: AMSS Committee votes on nominations;
- Saturday 25 August 2012: Patron's Plate awarded.
The recipient of the Patron’s Plate shall receive the perpetual Patron’s Plate for one year and a medallion that they retain forever. The vote for the Patron's Plate is a simple majority vote of the AMSS Committee. Proxy votes can be submitted via the following procedure:
- Each Officer of the Committee entitled to vote, is eligible to vote for the Patron’s Plate;
- Each Officer of the Committee can only participate in the casting of one (1) vote;
- If a number of individuals share one (1) vote and none of them can attend the relevant Committee Meeting, then they may jointly cast the one (1) proxy vote;
- The nominees and their curriculum vitaes will be distributed with the usual pre-reading on Thursday 9 August 2012
- One (1) proxy vote can be for one (1) candidate only;
- Proxy votes must be submitted to Alyssa Parsons (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 17:00 on Sunday 12 August 2012;
- Daina Rudaks (President) and Alyssa Parsons will administer the vote, and together they will ensure the validity and count of all votes (including proxy votes).