The Adelaide Medical Students’ Society (AMSS or the Society) Patron’s Plate is the most prestigious annual award offered by the Society, initiated by Adam Lockett. The relevant regulations require that the Patron’s Plate is awarded to the ‘final year medical student who is deemed to have made an outstanding contribution to medical student life during the six years of the Medical Course.’ The coveted prize therefore acknowledges over half a decade of contribution by the recipient to medical student life, which expands to involve contributions made from the local to the national level. Within the exuberant culture and energy of medical student life at the University of Adelaide, such an award is an extremely high honour indeed!
The process regarding the awarding of the Patron’s Plate can be summarised as below
- All medical students at the University of Adelaide are invited to nominate final year students that they feel are fit for consideration for the Patron’s Plate;
- Nominations can be made from Monday 15 July
- Nominees will be informed of their nomination by email from the President and will be requested to submit a one-page curriculum vitae (CV) depicting their ‘contribution to medical school life’;
- The CVs of all nominees will be provided to all members of the Committee for consideration prior to a normal AMSS Committee Meeting, at which discussion and voting will take place; and
- All nominees will be acknowledged and thanked at the AMSS MedBall. The recipient of the Patron’s Plate will then be announced.
Congratulations to Dr Daina Rudaks, the Patron's Plate recipient for 2012.
The timeline for administration of the Patron's Plate in 2013 can be summarised as:
- Monday 15 July 2013: nominations open;
- Friday 9 August 2013: nominations close;
- Saturday 10 August 2013: nominees asked to submit one-page CV;
- Saturday 17 August 2013: CVs due.
- Monday 19 August 2013: AMSS Committee votes on nominations;
- Saturday 7 September 2013: Patron's Plate awarded at AMSS MedBall
The recipient of the Patron’s Plate shall receive the perpetual Patron’s Plate for one year and a medallion that they retain forever. The vote for the Patron's Plate is a simple majority vote of the AMSS Committee. Proxy votes can be submitted via the following procedure:
- Each Officer of the Committee entitled to vote, is eligible to vote for the Patron’s Plate;
- Each Officer of the Committee can only participate in the casting of one (1) vote;
- If a number of individuals share one (1) vote and none of them can attend the relevant Committee Meeting, then they may jointly cast the one (1) proxy vote;
- The nominees and their curriculum vitaes will be distributed with the usual pre-reading on Thursday 15 August 2013
- One (1) proxy vote can be for one (1) candidate only;
- Proxy votes must be submitted to Michelle Chua (email@example.com) by 17:00 on Sunday 18 August 2013;
- Karthik Venkataraman (President) and Michelle Chua will administer the vote, and together they will ensure the validity and count of all votes (including proxy votes).