The AMSS Executive and Committee are elected annually. All Executive and Committee positions for the following year, other than Year Representatives, Functions Co-ordinators, MedCamp Convenors, MedRevue Convenors and Skullduggery Convenors are elected by secret ballot at the Annual General Meeting (AGM), which is usually held in September. The outgoing AMSS President selects a Returning Officer to oversee the election process.
In 2013 the AMSS AGM is scheduled for 5:30pm Thursday 12 September 2013.
Nominations for 2014 Executive or Committee Positions will open on Monday 12 August 2013. They may be made using the Online Form, or directly to the Returning Officer.
Below is a summary of the procedure to nominate for AMSS Executive or Committee positions.
POSITIONS AND CONVENORSHIPS
(other than Skullduggery, MedCamp, Functions, MedRevue, RedParty).
NOMINATING FOR POSITIONS AND CONVENORSHIPS
Applying for positions other than Skullduggery, MedCamp, Functions, MedRevue and RedParty:
- Fill in the on-line nomination form by writing a short statement on your reasons for application (50 words for committee positions; 100 words for executive positions);
- To be eligible for proxy votes, these forms are due by 11:59pm on Saturday 31 August 2013;
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your nomination;
- On Sunday 1 September 2013, those nominations and corresponding statements that have been received will be published on the AMSS website.
- Proxy voting opens Monday 9 September 2013 and closes 5pm Thursday 12 September;
- Proxy votes can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a reason as to why a proxy vote is being submitted;
- Please note that proxy votes will only be accepted on receipt of a substantial reason for non-attendance at the AGM, such as on medical or geographical grounds (rural placement); assignment or work commitments are not substantial reasons and validity will be handled at the discretion of the Returning Officer and election panel;
- Please note that proxy votes can be for one nominee or, if there is more than two nominees for one position, proxy votes can rank the nominees in order of preference. Please see the AMSS Regulations and By-Laws (here) for more information about the voting procedure (see Section 5 specifically).
- Position nominations will be accepted at the AGM on Thursday 12 September until election of that position begins;
- Late nominations received after Saturday 31 August 2013 will not be eligible for proxy votes.
- Nominees are required to give a short speech at the AGM (1 minute for Committee positions and 2 minutes for Executive positions);
- Nominees may also be asked questions from the floor following their speech;
- Voting is by secret ballot;
- Candidates will be elected in accordance with the Regulations and By-laws (here) and will be announced at the conclusion of the AGM.